There’s nothing like to find a solution to a problem, not to fix it, but to make it disappear completely from the root.
For the last couple of weeks it was very hot where I live, with temperatures in the 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 Celsius), so by the time to go to bed the bedroom was hot and feeling like a cheap hotel room in Bangkok (for what I’ve seen in Action movies), making it impossible to fall asleep; at least for me.
The solution: I bought a used window AC on Craigslist. These guys were selling a nice working and very dirty unit for $45, so I just couldn’t resist. I brought it home and started the installation in the horizontal sliding window in my bedroom. I made a wooden base to create a leveled surface and painted it white, so it would look very clean. While waiting for the wooden base to dry, so I could continue checking what I could do to complete the installation as I was going, I decided to take apart the AC to clean it up a little bit; I know these things collect dust the same like computers.
Also, while cleaning and discovering labels attached to the unit, I had the opportunity to Google what I bought and how much would cost new. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this particular unit was 10,000 BTU, while in the bedroom all was needed was a 5,000 BTU, which meant it would have to run shorter amounts of time, or the unit could be used to cool down not just my bedroom, but even maybe also my son’s bedroom, which door is side by side with mine.
The unit also happened to cost around $ 450 when new, so not bad considering it was working pretty good and I got it for just 10 percent of the original price.
While cleaning inside the unit I paid special attention to both radiators as I know that’s the main reason why this units loose efficiency; radiators that cannot have enough air flow. I was shocked to discover the outside radiator was almost completely clogged with a thick layer of dust compacted into an about 1/16” (1.6 mm) layer like a cardboard sheet. I guess they sold the unit, not because it was too big for the room they were in now, but because the unit was very low efficiency lately.
After removing the layer, cleaning the radiator and all the interior, putting the unit together and testing it, it was so nice to feel that strong cold wind in my face and body in the garage, where I was sweating the 95 degrees while working in this AC.
After the wooden base was dry enough I installed the AC in the window and simply closed the upper portion of the window with a transparent sheet of plastic I found laying in the garage. I just held it in place using transparent packing tape (2 inches wide) and tested the unit in the bedroom now and positioned as it supposed to be, with the outside radiator outside and the front of the AC unit inside. It took the AC about 5 minutes to bring the room from 95 inside to a cool 65 degrees! So I knew now I could sleep at night! It was like upgrading hotels in Bangkok (I guess).
But I had only two nights to try it. By the third day it came a two weeks long not so hot wave, and we’ve been having temperatures in the 70 degrees (21.1 Celsius), and even in the last two or three days we had rain (the lawn and the rabbits seem to love it), so there has been no need to use the AC.
So not only the problem was fixed, it was destroyed from the root! I would consider the problem fixed if I was sleeping finally thanks to the air conditioner, but since there is no need for an AC anymore, the problem seems like it never existed! Completely destroyed.
It is not the first time something like this happens to me, and I’m sure it also happens to many people out there. Now, I don’t want to take the unit out of the window yet because I know of the existence of the Murphy’s Laws, and I know if I consider I don’t need it anymore, as soon as I remove it from the window, the high temperatures will be back again!