618341 visits since February 05, 2010

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Living Without a God

Posted by Raul on September 23, 2010

I don’t believe in a God’s existence as presented socially, so I don’t have a set of commandments to live by, I am at my own will.

So how can I expect to live my life?

Let’s say that I have two sons.

The first one is always coming to my house and thanking me for all that I have done for him; he talks about me out there; he is willing to kill for me, but he is also selfish and dishonest; he wants power and money; he goes like “I didn’t make things the way they are, I’m just surviving in this world” as an excuse to abuse and act in a self rewarding way without regard for others.

The other never came back. He never calls me and never thanked me; he went on to do his life. But I know that he is a good man, he is a good friend, father and husband, and people can trust him. He is not worried about money and power, he enjoys life and nature; he respects others and tries to be just and honorable.

Which one would make me more proud?

The second one would be my choice and I believe it’ll be the logical choice also.

So, if God does exist, and is like people say: eternally loving and worried about his children’s happiness and in no case selfish, wanting to be worshiped (that would be a religion’s concept) then I will try to be like the second son, to make him proud of me.

If he doesn’t exist, I can still be proud of myself, enjoy life and nature, family and friendship, and even that with this way I’ll never be rich and powerful, I know I’ll be happy with myself.

So I believe it is not important to spend life questioning about if God does exist or not, it is not important to go to church and pray, and of course, is not important to escalate in society and become rich and powerful. I think a God would care a whole lot less what we believe than he cares about what is in our hearts and how we treat each other, so what really matter is to put all our efforts in trying to be better people, become real human beings, and enjoy life in the process.

I know it may sound selfish for some, but after looking at religious wars that killed and tortured so many throughout history, a wealthy church with a Pope that wears expensive hand made shoes and lives surrounded by riches while preaching modesty and giving ways; and even local priests that preach every Sunday the rules to live by, yet scandals and left behind children abound, I cannot believe in their words in other ways than religions are just a man made business for conquering, ruling and profit building purposes.

Contradictions exist in the own words of the teachers when their preaching is compared with their actions.

If when I die I have to face a God that I never believed in and he happens to be the way is taught by religion, eternally loving and understanding, then I’m sure he will understand my motives, smile and say “Come in, make yourself at home”

If I found a God that requires worshiping and supports Holly Wars, then I’m in deep shit!

Comments

14 Responses to “Living Without a God”
  1. Carol says:

Amen!

Hi Carol,

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to read :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Living Without a God

Wow…I commend your honesty..
    My life is quite magical..and these beliefs are the foundation of that life.. I am peace filled, genuinely loving, live a minimalist life on the boat, see you being to being, and share from the abundance of time, energy, resources in my life..
    I don’t ‘preach’ or judge, I do fully accept and love..
    And, Raul, you spend your life questioning many things..most creatively..some of which you share here..so why not add God/Energy/Love to the mix of questions..

“I believe God exists..I also believe in the Universe energy, the cycles of nature and the power of the moon..”

There are so many energies and forces at play in the universe and life that we don’t understand. For some people (like you) it is about acceptance and flow while for others (like me) is more about observing and trying to understand. My guess is that it doesn’t really matter what approach we take as long as we can make our lives flow smoothly without hurting anybody in the process. There’s no right or wrong in this, just what is the best approach for each one of us.

I bet many people who read your blog somehow feel envy and is trying to understand and apply to their lives the graceful flow you have reached in your life :)

P.S. I haven’t forgotten your request…slowly but surely I’m working on it :)
    Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Living Without a God

3. Sara says:

Well expressed, Raul. You are open and honest about your beliefs. I believe that God, or whatever name is given, wants us to question and learn.

I think I like to meet the God of your imagination. It’s nice to know that this God would greet you with a smile, even if you didn’t believe. This sounds like someone I’d like and like the God I believe in:~)

Religion is something we humans seem to seek. We’ve created it and let it grow in very different ways throughout the world. I believe there is no right religion — but there is a common thread in all religions and it’s learning to care for others, be compassionate and, most of all, be accepting of others.

BTW Have you read any of the Gnostic Gospels. Some people think them heretical, but they are very interesting. I like the Gospel of St. Thomas, mainly because my dad was named Thomas. There’s one verse that stays with me. It goes like this:

“His disciples said to him, “When will the kingdom come?” [Jesus replies] “It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, ‘Look, here!’ or ‘Look, there!’ Rather, the Father’s kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don’t see it.”

Just something to think about. I am sorry I’ve visited lately. I have missed your writings. I like that you make me think:~)
    Sara´s last post ..A Toast to Barbara Swafford

I haven’t read the Gnostic Gospels but it seems really interesting. I like the one you mention, we know that it depend on us to create “Heaven” or “Hell” right here on Earth based in what we do and the attitude we take. It is like at home, if we all in the family make our part and have good intentions to the others, the home runs smoothly and peacefully, and everyone have a place and people around to count on for anything; that’s why home (our family) should be our first priority and we should be able to make it happen since we know each other, interact together everyday and are family.

The same should be possible in the world, only even though we know we are family, we don’t know each other in a personal way and don’t interact together (like people in different countries) so maybe that’s why we cannot perceive that the human race is just a big family and so it is so difficult to transform this Earth into “Heaven” and rather we have turned into “Hell”

We can see the example of what we are doing in the world in some families where each member care for his/her own and take advantage of the others…that home becomes a representation of civilization as it is right now.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Living Without a God

4. Nicely said Raul. My thoughts of God recently have had me considering whether humans can even grasp the concept of God. It seems like everyone tries to humanize him into a king like being. I think we do this as it’s something we can relate to. In all honesty though, I don’t think we have the capacity to understand all that encompasses God. I think God and the vastness of this entire universe is utterly beyond our understanding.
    Eric | Eden Journal´s last post ..It’s difficult to smile when you’re not okay

HI Eric,

My concept of God is that God is the conglomeration of thinking entities that divides itself and the fragments take shapes to feed, then reunite again to provide the growth of the whole.

I think now I should make a post about that perception…I’m sure it’ll get some “itching” around :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Living Without a God

Raul, I do appreciate your honesty on the subject of God. Not many are willing to state their views so clearly, and yet respectfully. That you haven’t rubbished those who perhaps believe differently to you speaks volumes. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t like to just talk about my own beliefs willy-nilly. In fact, it’s something that I’ve barely touched upon in my own blog. I’m not sure why I’ve been so reluctant to do so far, but your respectful approach is one that I would emulate if I did choose to discuss my beliefs. Who knows, perhaps I will make them the subject of a post or two. We shall see.

Nevertheless, this was well thought out, and your respectful forthrightness has not gone unnoticed, my friend. Write on. :)

I do have my “perception” of the situation, as I mentioned to Eric in the previous comment, but I do respect everyone’s opinion and beliefs. We all were raised and exposed to different situations that forge in each one of us a different approach to the same situation.

The subject of speaking out our personal concepts in public is a complicated one, which I feel in advantage to tackle compared to many bloggers since I am a “Ghost”…nobody can punch in the nose to a ghost, right? :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Living Without a God

6. Patricia says:

I enjoyed reading your words and your parable of the sons, your writing touched me.

I have a great concern about religion, which is the main reason my parents came to the USA – the separation of Church and State was profoundly important to my father and his work in education.

We always went to church and my parents chose carefully where we would attend, because they wanted us to question and find our own beliefs…and my father just so enjoyed the rituals of belonging to a group (he was orphaned by his mother dying of TB – she was a church organist and nurse) I believe when he died he believed more in that humans are just a form of energy that are absorbed back into the greatest energy forces –

What was most important was love, respect and caring for ourselves, our children and our environment.

I am glad that he died at age 64 because I believe the interference of religion into government and schools would be crushing to his spirit – he would be appalled at the USA right now.

I am using the concept of energy to heal my liver and kidneys right now along with a vegan diet …it appears to be working…

I am looking for a community to feel a sense of belonging (I think I find it in my blogging community) I keep coming to read your blog and the Eden blog, because you folks are questioning….it is in the questioning that I find the most comfort – maybe my greatest expression of God?
    Patricia´s last post ..An Apple of Appreciation for the Teacher

Hi Patricia,

That’s a great thing your father guided you to question to find your own beliefs; when we know why we believe in something rather than just accepting what was told, it makes everything a whole lot easier.

I’m sorry to hear you have problems with your liver and kidney…I hope the concept of energy is working for you, so you can recover completely. It is said that positive thoughts, together with our own energy can make the difference we search for.

My best wishes for you :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Problems With English

7. Mike Ramsey says:

To be honest, I seldom go to church. Not because I don’t believe God, but it’s because I want to go there with no negative thoughts running on my mind. Also, I haven’t done something very stupid within the week of course.

Just remembered an incident the last time I went there. There are two beggars aging around 9 or 10 yrs old were shooed away by a member of the church ministry. I really don’t know what’s on his mind why he did it. A servant of the church who must serve as a role model of the society did this to the children of God. Oh well… It’s his ways anyway…
    Mike Ramsey´s last post ..Tips On How To Stop Excessive Sweating

Hi Mike,

It seems to me that believing in God and going to church not necessarily have to be together; one is own beliefs and the other is a religion procedure, so there is room for a believer from his/her heart that doesn’t practice any religion.

And when situations like the one you mention occur, most likely some people, although still remaining believers, start questioning religion and church.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..The Birth of a Child