Anticipation Maniac

OK people, I admit it, I am a maniac and a big fan of anticipation, not only the anticipation in Sci Fi books from authors like Asimov, but every day anticipation about little details that can make a day great or destroy it depending on what happens.

For that reason I tend to take maybe too many precautions in the eyes of others, but in mine it is just a logical thing to do, for example:

When driving or walking in a parking lot I always look at the white, reverse lights, of parked cars to anticipate if any of them will suddenly move so to avoid an unnecessary crash or accident.

When driving in a street, before changing lanes or braking, I look around and see what the other drivers are doing; are they paying attention to what’s happening around? If I change lanes, even if I signal my intentions way ahead of starting to move, will they see my vehicle moving and act accordingly?

Not just when going to change lanes or braking, but even when going in a straight line I’m always looking at the other drivers and trying to detect if they are paying attention or if they are distracted talking or texting, listening music or animated in conversation with the other occupants of the car.

When parking in public parking lot like in a grocery store, always park in reverse; when just arriving we have a better vision of what’s happening around so we can park safely, but when leaving we don’t know what its been happening around and we are distracted with the bags we are carrying, so it’ll be easier and safer to leave driving forward than backwards.

Always lightly touch the brake pedal way before having to brake, like ahead of a traffic light that will go to red, to make sure the brakes are working fine and not having to deal with a sudden, nasty surprise.

When my son was a one year old child and started to walk we always used only the rear burners in the stove when cooking, so if he happened to come by and try to see what was on top of the stove while hanging from it, he would not burn himself by accident with the hot plate, and also there’ll be nothing that could flip over and fall in his face.

Also, when he was a baby, we memorized the sequence of checking eyes, ears, nose, teeth, tongue and fingers for every time he fell and cried, so we would know in just 3 seconds if he was hurt and in need of medical attention or just scared and needing a hug.

Never leave a glass of juice too near of the edge on the table; we don’t want a broken glass, spilled juice and the extra task of cleaning up when it could be avoided.

Fill up the cup of coffee up to no less than one inch from the top to reduce the chances of spilling hot water and getting burned.

Keep the microwave at waist level in case we are heating up soup or any fluids that needs to be removed hot, so to reduce chances of getting burned compared to a high mounted microwave.

When washing dishes put knives pointing down in the strainer so when taking them back to move them to the right drawer we don’t grab them from the cutting edge

Wait until the garage door is completely closed before getting inside the house to make sure nothing is in its way that will stop it and force it to open again so we know the door is closed and don’t have to lament later the lost of personal stuff.

I keep the alarm clock 30 minutes ahead of the real time, so if I oversleep I jump out of bed worried and run, but I’m still on time  :)

All our cars have a remote lock system I installed; for my vehicle I have the remote in a metal bracket that fit in my waist belt instead of the key ring (which is typical); also I have a single key with all the information about the vehicle in its tab and a set of keys with all the keys we have; single key in left pocket and set of keys in right pocket; when driving I use the single key so it doesn’t apply lots of weight to the ignition switch ensuring longer life of the switch, and this is the key I give to the technician when taking the car for service, so they have all the information of the car in the key itself (because of the tab); if accidentally I lock the car I have the complete set to open it, and if that fails, I have the remote in my belt, so it is two alternatives to unlock the vehicle before having to call for help.

I could go on and on but I know you have a lot of things to do and cannot spend the whole day reading this post; so I’ll keep it short and sweet to avoid boring to death those who read this blog.

Details, details…anticipation, anticipation!

Yes, I am a maniac of anticipation and details with the intention of avoiding crying later for things that happen that could be prevented. Not that I am 100% successful in those attempts, but fortunately haven’t had to lament situations other than small things

One more…always read and re-read a post before hitting “publish” to make sure fellow bloggers will only get mad at me but will not start a mob chase to kill me…and keep the back door unlock in case of needing an escape route…  :)

18 Responses to Anticipation Maniac

Sounds like you have a good system going. I too believe in anticipating the details… especially when driving. The brake tap before I turn is the secret to success when I turn off a busy street to go home.
    rob white´s last post ..BE-ing passionate is EXPRESS-ing with passion

Many times little details can make a big difference and avoid lots of problems.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Anticipation Maniac

2. Steve says:

Most of those thing sound like solid common sense. Particularly the driving ones. I remember what my dad always taught me while driving… drive as if you assume everyone on the road around you is a complete idiot and is about to do something they shouldn’t.

I have found that to have been some great advice, because people really do lose their minds in a car.
    Steve´s last post ..Steve Scott’s Day Off

Hi Steve,

It’s unfortunate that some times it really looks like some people do drive, well…like idiots :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Anticipation Maniac

Wow! I have these tendencies. I’m a pretty cautious person… always anticipating ahead; but it’s not out of fear; it’s being proactive, just like you are. One of my pet peeves is people who are not aware of what’s going on around them and so, on the other side of the coin, this way of thinking impresses me. I love being prepared.

If just some of the “spiritual awareness” some people seek was also applied to “driving awareness” (sigh)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Anticipation Maniac

4. Wow man, you are an anticipation maniac. I do some of these things, but some of them fall into my “no worries” philosophy. I think it’s a fine line between being proactive and worrying.

I used to do the alarm clock thing, but I tended to adjust after a while, and I’d sleep in anyway because I knew I had the extra time. Now I’ve set it back to the correct time and just make the effort to get out of bed.

Thanks for giving us a peak into the life of the anticipation maniac. :)
    Eric | Eden Journal´s last post ..Exploring Subjective Reality

“I think it’s a fine line between being proactive and worrying.”

You make a good point here, as long as we take the anticipation in a proactive attitude then it is fine; when it is based on worrying then it’s us who need help; independent of how many elements or situations we anticipate about.

In my case I see it as why let bad situations happen when we can avoid them with just a little thinking ahead; so it becomes between being proactive and being lazy.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Anticipation Maniac

5. Marion says:

Hi Raul

I would say that you have high standards and are thorough. This allows you take very good care of the things in life that are important to you.

Okay so I not sure about the alarm clock :-). Are you also very organized and tidy?

Very nice insight
    Marion´s last post ..How to Forgive – What you need to know about forgiveness

Hi Marion,

I have bad memory so the alarm clock thing works great for me, every time it goes off I already forgot it is 30 minutes ahead and take it for the correct time (I found an advantage of bad memory)

Funny that you ask about me being organized and tidy because yesterday I was reading your post “Establishing a habit that works” from March 2010 (when having some time I’ve been reading your previous posts).

Yes, I am a maniac about keeping things in place around the house; an example: I have a one inch paint brush in my desk that I use to clean the keyboard a couple of times a day, so to prevent dust around the keys.

Am I impossible or what? :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Anticipation Maniac

6. Sara says:

I really liked and agreed with what you said about driving and many of your other suggestion are good common sense things to do.

I also must admit I can be an “anticipation manic.” I do share a lot of these tendencies. However, from my view, I think I’d rather be a little less prepared.

For me, being prepared and planning for all contingencies hasn’t prevented really rotten things from happening. They still do. I just get more anxious about it:~)

So, I do my best, but now I also try to accept when mistakes, accidents or other things happen that I didn’t plan for. It’s kind of like going on a picnic. You can watch the weather station, be assured it’s going to be a beautiful day, only to have it rain cats and dogs all through your picnic.

I kind of like the French saying, C’est la Vie or “that’s life”. Sometimes, I just have to accept life, including the times it jumps out and surprises me:~)

BTW I went to Eric’s post. It is a bit mind blowing!!
    Sara´s last post ..Story Photo- The Creative Mind

There are things we can classify as “that’s life” and there are others that we should classify as “I screwed up”, but we don’t do that.

Thanks for contributing your opinion; I think it could be an interesting point to develop in another post to explain better the other part of anticipation.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Just a Quick Note!

7. I hate to admit this but I’m nothing like this. Could be my ADHD.

However I tend to go at a slower pace and that keeps me and others pretty safe. Any accidents I’ve had have been when I’m in a hurry.

Hi Tess,

Great point; when we go at full speed we don’t have the time to interact with the surroundings properly and bad things may occur, but when we slow down we do have more time to process all the information and avoid, at least, some of the possible mistakes that we could incur in.

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Just a Quick Note!

Raul, I’m with Steve. A lot of those things you do seem like just plain ol’ common sense, something that I lack in abundance! So, if anything, I should be taking notes! Entertaining read as always, my friend! :D

To me also is about common sense and implementing automatic actions, like leaving the keys in the same place always to know where they are at any time.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Toilet Wisdom

9. Hi Raul,

Like you, I’m always anticipating when I’m driving. And I hate to see when others are talking on their cell phones and driving as I know all of their attention is not on the road.

Re: the garage door. We have friends whose son was killed because he got trapped under a garage door. I don’t know if it was before they put the sensors on them or not, but being cautious is important.

Also, one of our neighbors backed over her daughter who was playing behind her car. Fortunately she drove over her stomach and the girl only had minor injuries. Scary!
    Barbara Swafford´s last post ..Beating A Dead Fish

Hi Barbara,

Ouch! Those stories you mention really are scary. More the reason to anticipate the possible risks and consequences and do something about it before hand, so not to have to lament terrible situations, like a child being killed or run over.

Tank you for sharing these stories so we all can get a better picture of the consequences of not anticipating :)

Raul Ojeda´s last post ..Toilet Wisdom